Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

    DS> Personally, when rent or buy a movie to watch once, I don't
    DS> really care if it's locked to the account (which may be closed)

It may be a problem when one wants to let his children watch the movie
without giving them any access to the account.

    DS> the distributor (who may go out of business)

Right.

    DS> or a device I choose (which I may not have at some time in the
    DS> future).

It's not the device I choose but the device (software) the provider
permits.  And it's always a device not being under my complete control.

I consider such an approach not only inconvenient (I might manage that,
nothing is perfect) but also intrusive and I can't completely trust the
provider under such conditions.  The problem with EME is I can't trust
W3C either when it officially promotes such a behavior by making it a
part of its standards, thus making me a second-class Web citizen at
best.