Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Alastair Campbell <alastc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emmanuel Revah wrote:
>
>> Back to the DRM for images, if the W3C accepts DRM for videos it will set
>> a precedence and there would be no logical reason to refuse DRM for
>> anything else. Those interested in this would have to work on a spec and
>> get it approved and so on, just like with EME.
>>

> The scope of the HTML working group includes:
> "additions to the HTMLMediaElement element interface, to support use cases
> such as live events or premium content; for example, additions for:
> - facilitating adaptive streaming (Media Source Extensions)
> - supporting playback of protected content"
>
> That is pretty specific, and I believe a change in that scope would have
> to be approved by the AC. Either by voting with one vote per member, or by
> any member trying to block it, and then going to a vote, and then to the
> director. I don't know the ins and outs yet but that seems to be the
> process.
> It isn't /just/ a case of someone wanting to work on it.

It's also worth remembering that you do not just need people who are
interested in using some feature and interested in working on a spec. You
also need User Agent implementors who are interested in implementing the
feature, otherwise it is going nowhere. I see no interest at all from UA
implementors in DRM outside of the HTMLMediaElement.