Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On 10/09/2013 05:01 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
>> What do you mean by "go forward"? The working group is entitled to
>> proceed with its efforts to develop an extension specification, as the
>> discussion is in-scope for HTML. Whether it gets approved as a W3C
>> Recommendation -- and how it gets changed or improved along the way --
>> are still open questions. This group is part of the ongoing discussion.
>
> Sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific.
>
> 'Content protection' was decided as being in-scope without any
> consultation, and I've been told be several people (including the CEO,
> if I understand him correctly) that that decision was made before any
> public consultation on EME, and is not itself up for consultation or
> debate.

That scope was brought before the W3C advisory committee in the HTML
charter, and saying it's "in scope" only says the discussion may take
place, it doesn't predict an outcome of the discussion.

--Wendy

Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)