Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:28 AM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:

> On 2013-10-08 16:18 Mark Watson wrote:
>> Because something is successful does not mean it's reasonable to demand
>> that it be the only way. Other things can be successful too. All of the
>> above models are great - I hope they all flourish.
>
>> But I also hope we can agree we should defer to the general population to
>> decide what models they wish to patronize rather than proscribing from on
>> high which are and are not "acceptable".
>
> funny, that's exactly what DRM does

Not at all. DRM-protected services are offered as products to the
general population and they can decide whether to accept them or not.
This is what I mean. What you are asking is for a committee of
unelected engineers to decide what is acceptable or not for the web.

>> In fact it's imperative that we do encourage as many
>> different models as possible, because it is only through diversity and
>> experimentation that we discover what works .
>
> DRM attempts to prevent that: preventing non-sanctioned use (i.e.
> experimentation) is the explicit goal of DRM

The different models listed were all
different ways that the creators of content could offer it to the
public.  Having technical solutions for DRM doesn't force any product
offer to use them. All the other models can still be used by those to
choose to. It is only you who is arguing that certain models should
not be supported by the technology, not even available to content
creators as an option on the web.

...Mark