Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2013, at 13:27 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >> Once EME is an open standard that anyone can implement, everyone that
> >> actually can, will (highly probable). There will also be demand to
> >> protect other forms of content, like images, texts and anything really,
> >> why shouldn't there be ?  Maybe I'd like to display HD images on my
> >> photo gallery but need the guarantee that it is impossible to copy. I
> >> cannot see why it would be okay for videos and not still images, text
> >> and other forms of digital content.
> >
> > Not just probable - people have already been asking for it.
>
> Yes, they maybe will;  but we should consider each case on its merits;
> it's not an automatic slippery slope.

And also, as the blog Alistair linked to explained, it's not really W3C
that decides what goes on the web, it's the UA implementors. EME is
proposed here because UAs are implementing it and want to coordinate openly
on how it should work. I don't see any interest from the UA implementors in
applying DRM to images, text etc.

...Mark