Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

> Once EME is an open standard that anyone can implement, everyone that
> actually can, will (highly probable). There will also be demand to
> protect other forms of content, like images, texts and anything really,
> why shouldn't there be ?  Maybe I'd like to display HD images on my
> photo gallery but need the guarantee that it is impossible to copy. I
> cannot see why it would be okay for videos and not still images, text
> and other forms of digital content.

Not just probable - people have already been asking for it.

> This is a never ending debate, unless we're honest that proponents care
> more about corporate business needs than keeping the Web open. Instead
> many claim that the W3C has no clear guidelines.

I never claimed that, myself - the guidelines are clear, just as it's
clear that they're being pushed under the bus in order to accommodate
DRM.

> The most honest EME proponent must weigh the benefits of bringing big
> media to the web and the security/privacy/openness of the user and the
> web. In the end, to be pro EME is to believe that it is more important,
> even if by a hair, than keeping the W3C's standards truly open (and
> accessible, trustworthy, etc etc).

Very nice summary.

> Is it possible to create a DRM system that does not require users to run
> vendor software on their systems ?
>
> If that were the current proposition for EME, I'd have a hard time
> arguing against it on the W3C mailing list. Instead the debate is
> constantly shifted to "Yes, but what can we do to satisfy their business
> needs ?".

It's the crisis of representation, again.

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420817082 | web: http://duncan-bayne.github.com/ | skype:

I usually check my mail every 24 - 48 hours.  If there's something
urgent going on, please send me an SMS or call me.