Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On 2013-10-04 14:21 David Singer wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2013, at 10:16 , Martin Kliehm <w3c@kliehm.com> wrote:
> > On 04.10.2013 13:00, Karl Dubost wrote:
> > - Open Source is also imperative so that *anybody* can create compatible
> > players, not just a few big companies who own patented software.

> If I can create a player, I can create a copier.  How do you avoid that?

The alternative is saying "only the blessed developpers are allowed to make a
player" .

That is not acceptable in an open standard, as this creates a powerfull
gatekeeper in the entity that decides who is blessed, and thus who gets to
compete (i.e. it's the antithesis of open standard)

Note: The W3C patent policy has language to prevent the "only blessed
developpers are allowed to make a player issue"-problem .
Black box CDM's allow companies the same result through different means, this
should also be blocked, for the exact same reasons.
Yet with EME the W3C is de facto aiding and abetting exactly that. Which is
why people, me included, are so upset with W3C over this and consider EME as
the W3C selling out.

More in general the answer to "how do you avoid that?" is...

You can't, as preventing it requires violating the basic nature of general
purpose computers and digital goods (that the digital good it's also happens
to represent a piece of audio or video is irrelevant to that basic reality).
Manipulating bits is what a general purpose computer is made for, and digital
good are just bunch of bits.
Thanks to that basic reality there is no noticable scarcity for digital goods
once the first copy is created, and the creating itself is a sunk cost.
Consequently any business model that relies on scarcity is doomed, and any
attempts to introduce artificial scarcity will at best slow that doom down a
bit (while inevitably generating a lot of resentment).
--
Cheers