Re: What is the "open web" ?

On 31/05/13 15:55, Mark Watson wrote:
> Examples include Geolocation and WebGL. Whilst it is possible to
> implement both of these in open source software, you basically need
> proprietary hardware (and the proprietary software drivers to go with
> it) to offer a performant capability to applications (GPS and a graphics
> card, respectively).

I'm not sure this is the case; I believe that it's true that there are
GPS chips and graphics cards out there with open source drivers,
including for accelerated 3D. If you believe these examples hold, can
you say exactly which part of the GPS or 3D stacks is entirely
unavailable as open source software for any existing hardware?

I think that perhaps the criteria for a set of technologies to be open
is that it is possible, given enough time, skill and intelligence, for a
person or group of people to read the documentation and legally
implement those technologies without needing anyone else's permission,
to a level where they had the same capabilities as other existing systems.

So let's take WebGL. Even if there were no free 3D drivers for any
existing graphics hardware, someone, given enough time and effort, could
write some. (And people are.) Or they could build their own hardware.
(And people are.) These actions are not legally restricted or made
crytographically impossible.

However, if EME/CDM comes to exist and is robust, and is used for web
video, then no amount of time or effort alone will allow coders to
legally implement the system such that it plays the same videos. They
need a contract with (i.e. permission from) an appropriate DRM provider
(or more than one).

Gerv