Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

Mark, thanks for replying inline, it is appreciated.

On 2013/05/15 19:07, Mark Watson wrote:

> The idea is not that each website request users to install a different
> CDM, but that browser vendors decide to integrate with one or more
> (but hopefully a very small number) of CDMs and websites pick from
> that list.

Would this be comparable to how SSL certificate signatures are currently
verified ? As in the Browser includes certain Root CAs (in the future
certain CDMs) which means for most sites the user needn't install
anything extra.  Also, would this mean, as with SSL, that website
operators must acquire a key from the CDM of their choice ?

> The costs of deploying DRM on the content distributer side remain
> significant. I doubt the difference EME makes will weigh heavily on
> anyone's decision to use DRM or not.

For me the real question isn't about "same-ish costs" between Flash DRM
and EME DRM. The question is:

Will those who wish to use the EME part of the W3C specifications be
required to spend money on keys and/or require the collaboration (active
or passive) of a 3rd party ?

> There are also pure technical reasons to think of EME as a waste of
> time, as in that it's already broken. Users will be able to record the
> streams with a simple plugin.
>
> Unlikely in the case that the media pipeline is fully protected.

Time will tell. But heck, EME could be the first such system to actually
work. If so, I'll give you a tip of my hat (after obtaining one).

> I notice that by the mere act of visiting your site you deem me to
> have agreed to some rather restrictive terms (one of which I do happen
> to agree to).And yet those very terms dispute the right of others to
> place far less imposing conditions on the users of their creative
> works. Interesting ...

Are you comparing the CC-BY-NC-SA license with the concept of total
control over one's content on a visitor's browser ?  I must be missing
something, I may be a bit slow. Please explain further.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com