->Restrictedmedia (Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!)

Thanks Mark,

On 05/15/2013 11:56 AM, Mark Watson wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Matt Matrisciano
> <thegreentrilby@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Are concerns taken seriously on the other mailing list, or is it a spot to
>> send people to voice their concerns with other likeminded people?
>>

> There is active discussion on that list between people both for and against
> EME and those inbetween, including participation by W3C staff and the W3C
> CEO.

>From the W3C staff, I'll echo your call for active discussion on this
restrictedmedia list. We opened the Community Group as a home for the
broader discussion -- what place does "protected content" or "restricted
media" have in the Open Web Platform? how can the Web, and open
standards, support the interests of varied parties and stakeholders? are
some of these interests incompatible?

Faced with diverging interests, are there places a standards discussion
can make DRM's restrictions more compatible with software freedom? Such
concrete recommendations could be appropriate for discussion in the
HTML-media, but for even those, it might help to sharpen them in the
restrictedmedia group first.

If, at the end of these discussions, deep incompatibilities persist, it
will come back to the W3C Director to decide whether W3C should
"Recommend" Encrypted Media. Discussions and analysis on all lists can
help to inform that decision -- especially if they go beyond "DRM bad,
hence drop EME."

--Wendy

> I would say again, though, that arguing in W3C that 'content licenses
> should not require DRM' is not a good use of your time because that
> decision is not made by the W3C or any of its members. Also, progressing
> the EME proposal, or not, has no bearing on that question.
>
> What it is useful to discuss in the W3C - and what the restricted media
> list is really for - is to explore what it means for the web and W3C's
> openness goals that content with restrictive licensing terms (I mean those
> that require DRM) actually exists and is popular. The W3C's position is
> that it is important that web supports this kind of content and the
> restricted media list is a good place to discuss how, or indeed to question
> that position.
>
> ...Mark
>

>> On May 15, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Please take this discussion to a more appropriate forum such as
>> http://www.w3.org/community/restrictedmedia/ ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> /paulc****
>>
>> HTML WG co-chair****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada****
>>
>> 17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3****

Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)