Re: Clarification

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> So the browser taken together with the CDM wouldn't be Open Source in
> the sense of coming with the downstream freedoms associated with Open
> Source, then. Open Source isn't just about source disclosure. Source
> disclosure is a mere prerequisite for enabling the downstream
> freedoms.

So Mozilla would not be able to produce a build of Firefox that includes a
CDM?

It sounds like EME provides some separation, but not enough for a (fully)
open source browser. I assume Google gets around this by using webkit/blink
as the rendering engine, but the rest of the browser is not open source.

I also assume that having the CDM outside of the browser would mean we're
back in plugin territory?

Kind regards,

-Alastair