Re: Clarification

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> The CDM needs
> to be built by someone that Cecil trusts to perform the build process
> using the published compiler, the published CDM source and a
> cryptographically strong random number generator for parametrizing the
> compiler and for generating the CDM private key. That is, the source
> disclosure would not involve the downstream freedoms associated with
> Open Source.
>

>From that and a previous thread it seems it would be possible for an open
source browser to implement EME, and for their build to include the
official key. Other people could compile the browser, but would not have
the official key so would not be able to access the restricted content.

However, I am struggling to follow the ins and outs so my simplistic
questions are:
a) Can an open source browser implement EME and provide an official build
that includes the private key?
b) Would Mozilla (as the most obviously OS browser) be willing and able to
do so?

Overall I am fairly ambivalent/cynical about the whole thing, but two
things would count against EME for me:
1) Accessibility issues (apparently not an issue from a previous thread).
2) Open source browsers being unable to implement it.

With all the discussion, I'm still not clear on the second of those. I
would appreciate any clarification.

Kind regards,

-Alastair