Re: Clarification

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Brendan Aragorn <gloppius@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mark,
> I emphatically trust my UA vendor, Mozilla.  If by gatekeeper you mean
> that they are able to block or warn of CDMs they find untrustworthy I am
> quite satisfied.

This is up to them. There is nothing in EME that says UAs have to provide a
plugin API enabling users to download and install arbitrary CDMs and I hope
that UAs will not do this. The EME will cause a proliferation of plugins is
one of the bigger myths that as been spread about the proposal. The
intention is to *get rid of* plugins.

So, then, the only way a CDM would be usable in the HTMLMediaElement is if
the UA has explicitly chosen to provide support for it. I would also expect
them to allow the user to enable/disable it. Possibly they may want to ask
the user for permission the first time it runs for each origin. Again, it's
up to UA implementors, but some possible ways a UA could provide support
for a given CDM might be:
- the CDM is integrated directly into the UA and ships with the UA
executable
- the CDM is implemented in the platform and the UA uses public platform
APIs to access it
- the CDM is a separately downloadable software module that the UA vendor
has integrated with and vetted. The UA will only load and execute it if it
passes some kind of code integrity check.

The last one is rather unsatisfactory, since it still looks and feels like
a plugin to the user, though it has the same properties as the first two.
It might be a path forward if there is some reason the CDM cannot ship with
the UA itself.

>   As an aside I meant that I would be willing to adopt their software as
> soon as it has proven itself to be safe.  I realize that noone can "prove"
> future action in the present.  I merely meant that those with a history of
> respecting the rights of others are more likely to continue in such fashion.

Fair enough. So do you agree, then, that putting DRM into the hands of the
UA vendors - who clearly have such a history - is better than proprietary
plugins or proliferation of native apps ?

...Mark