RE: Paying for Content vs Obfuscating Content

Karl Dubost wrote:

> "Content Protection", "DRM", "Restricted Media" are basically systems
> where we decided to obfuscate the content in a way where the barrier of
> access is part of the content. They are usually created for forbidding
> uncontrolled distributions of a content.
>
> Most of the arguments, I see pushed by proponents of "content
> protection" mechanisms are based on
>
> 1. "charging for accessing the content"
> 2. "compensating creative work"
>
> Both of these are orthogonal to obfuscating content.

I believe you are missing another key reason for content encryption: the
content owners do not want others to modify or copy their content in any
fashion - both also reasonable positions to take from a business
perspective.  This digital content, mostly video media, is not Open Source
software, it is commercial entertainment content which is licensed under
specific conditions, including forbidding copying or modifying, as well as
re-charging for a profit (public performance). (related:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/01/will-your-big-screen-super-bowl-p
arty-violate-copyright-law/)

> 1. Charging for accessing the content is already possible. See all site
> where you have to pay to be able to access the site. DRM-free books,
> musics, you order online.

The ability to monetize this Premium content is indeed an important
consideration: it is not however the only consideration, and there is
absolutely no reason why a content owner might want to encrypt their Premium
content and still distribute it free of charge: at this point the encryption
exists solely to ensure that the content not be modified without
authorization.

> 2. Having better ways to pay (user)/charge (creator) for creative work
> is indeed a very interesting issue to solve and has never been really
> cracked down.

Agreed, but work in these areas, while linked to EME / DRM in some
instances, should not be a barrier to progress in the Content Encryption
work.

JF