Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

Nikos Roussos  wrote:
> Could you elaborate? How a EME/CDM future is better than what's
> happening today with flash and silverlight?

The support for Flash/Silverlight is waning, and they won't be used on
new platforms. CDMs are a smaller thing to create (than a general
purpose programming environment) so they are more likely to be
implemented across more platforms.

The better future aspect is that content distributers who are required
to use DRM will have a means to do it. (For me that is maintaining
status quo more than being better, but anyway...)

> On the technological aspect, if a Standard can't be implemented in Free
> Software then it's not *Open* Standard and thus can't be considered part
> of the Open Web.

I would consider it an 'open standard' because the process is open and
no-one is prevented from using it by the standards body.

It might not be part of the 'open web' by your definition, but that
doesn't make it a closed standard. (We need to divide 'open' into a
couple of different terms!)

However, this isn't really the burning question. Given that EME is
*already* being implemented, should the W3C be where it is speced?

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Firefox seeks to maintain feature parity in terms of what's exposed
> to the Web across the different desktop platforms even when
> proprietary system facilities are used

So if EME because popular and MS/OSX/Ubuntu implemented usable CDMs,
would Firefox then use EME?

-Alastair