Re: DRM definition Re: What change could we make? (was Re: Letter on DRM in HTML)

On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 04:58 -0400, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Renato Iannella [2013-06-26T04:05]:
> > On 25 Jun 2013, at 22:52, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Could you define DRM in one or two lines?
> >
> > Sure, happy to. 12 years ago [1] we defined it as:
> >
> > "DRM covers the description, identification, trading, protection, monitoring and tracking of all forms of rights usages over both tangible and intangible assets including management of rights holders relationships"
>
> ok that illustrates one of the core issues in our discussions. This is the formal definition of DRM as a system helping to manage the rights. But in the pop culture and inside this list I'm pretty sure that most people are using the term to say "content obfuscation without user control".

Nobody talked about obfuscation. The "no-user control" part though is
true. Actually I think the Wikipedia article is pretty good.

"DRM technologies attempt to give control to the seller of digital
content or devices after it has been given to a consumer. For digital
content this means preventing the consumer access, denying the user the
ability to copy the content or converting it to other formats. For
devices this means restricting the consumers on what hardware can be
used with the device or what software can be run on it."

>From where I stand this clearly seems to be outside the scope of W3C's
mission.