Re: DRM definition Re: What change could we make? (was Re: Letter on DRM in HTML)

+ 2013-06-26 Wed 10:05, Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>:

> On 25 Jun 2013, at 22:52, Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:
> >
> > * Could you define DRM in one or two lines?
>
> Sure, happy to. 12 years ago [1] we defined it as:
>
> "DRM covers the description, identification, trading, protection, monitoring and tracking of all forms of rights usages over both tangible and intangible assets including management of rights holders relationships"

I am sorry, but to me, this definition does not make much sense.

DRM on Wikipedia gives:

 - Digital rights management, access control technologies that
   limit the usage of digital content and devices

(While I disagree this is "rights" management, I think this is
already much more meaningful, even though not ideal)

--
Hugo Roy | Free Software Foundation Europe, www.fsfe.org
FSFE Legal Team, Deputy Coordinator, www.fsfe.org/legal

Support Free Software, sign up! https://fsfe.org/support