Re: What change could we make? (was Re: Letter on DRM in HTML)

On 25 Jun 2013, at 03:34, Nikos Roussos <comzeradd@mozilla-community.org> wrote:

> Certainly the legal issues are not black-and-white in a worldwide scale.
> That's why we shouldn't support DRM-based technical solutions that are
> clearly on the black side of the spectrum and disregard any shades of
> gray on consumers rights.

That is a rather tough policy position to support, as I can think of other W3C standards that fall into the same category.

The classic being that I use HTML5 to markup "slanderous" text on my website (the text being illegal in Australia).
Do we blame HTML5? W3C? No...it is the *user* of the technology that has broken the law, not the technology itself.

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com