Re: Letter on DRM in HTML from the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
6:40 AM (47 minutes ago)

to Nikos
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Nikos Roussos <
comzeradd@mozilla-community.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 09:50 -0700, Mark Watson wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> wrote:
> >         Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

<snip>

>  You are right that even if W3C rejects the EME proposal, the content
> providers and some browsers, who want to have a DRM solution, will go
> ahead and implement it. What the users will lose if this implementation
> is a W3C recommendation is that they'll lose an ally on the fight for
> the Open Web.
>
> It's safe to say that there is a consensus among those who object to
> EME, that we believe it contradicts with Open Web principles and
> therefore W3C's mission. If EME gets approved the most important thing
> we'll lose is W3C.
>
> --
> Nikos Roussos
> http://roussos.cc

As an example I invite you to consider the implications of the W3C Patent
Policy recommendation and the effect it has had on creating standards that
are free and open.

----
2. Licensing Goals for W3C Recommendations

In order to promote the widest adoption of Web standards, W3C seeks to
issue Recommendations that can be implemented on a
Royalty-Free<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-RF>(RF)
basis. Subject to the conditions of this policy, W3C will not approve
a Recommendation if it is aware that Essential
Claims<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-essential>exist
which are not available on Royalty-Free terms.

To this end, Working Group charters will include a reference to this policy
and a requirement that specifications produced by the Working Group will be
implementable on an RF basis, to the best ability of the Working Group and
the Consortium.

----
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Licensing

--