Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 13 Jun 2013, at 08:14, Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> If those opposed to EME can prove, as I believe we have, that EME is
> inimical to the stated mission of the W3C, then that ought to be enough
> to scupper EME.

The W3C Mission is to "lead the World Wide Web to its full potential by developing protocols and guidelines that ensure the long-term growth of the Web" [1]. It is difficult to see how EME (or in fact any w3c spec) can defeat that.

Look at W3C XML Encryption [2] as an example. One could argue that is not very "open" as I can use it to encrypt that SVG graphic image on my website. Some people may choose to do that, others take a different path (and use PNG). However, both seem consistent with the W3C Mission.

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com