Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 06/10/2013 12:28 PM, Mark Watson wrote:
> I am addressing only the specific claim that content protection measures
> rely on an "assumption that the majority of customers are criminals".
> This is just nonsense.

The statement I originally made was "a significant portion of the public
are likely to take part in criminal behaviour."

DRM isn't a person securing his or her own property or home or
valuables. It is not a security system. It is a system of surveillance
and restrictions. A computer user gives up security, freedom, and
control on their computers -- that is a user installs a DRM system and
in doing so agrees to be monitored and have their behaviour restricted
on their own computer in their own home -- and what they get in exchange
is "a user experience."

Why are people willing to give-up so much in return for an experience?

Well, the arguments shared by Jeff are basically that restricted media
is necessary because of market reasons. Well, the groups that make these
arguments usually say the reason behind them is that on certain kinds of
"premium" media, there is a significant enough portion of the population
engaging in criminal activities of uploading and downloading works
without permission of the copyright holder that the movie companies are
losing a substantial profit.

And, should we trust and believe these arguments? As a consumer, who can
I look to in order to help make an informed decision?

A lot of people think that the W3C is deserving of their trust on such
matters. They are a standards and recommendations organization that has
helped the web flourish.

Unfortunately, I think that the decision to validate and support
restricted media technologies is something that is not in the best
interest of the public and that the W3C is not deserving of the public's
trust.

I thought my last email was actually going to be my last. But, I
realized it was probably worth sharing my reason before I closed my
account and whatnot. Well, my reason is pretty simple, I've lost trust
and faith in the W3C and I believe that no amount of discussion is going
to lead to anything but a slow and steady progression of the W3C putting
more work and lending more support to APIs for restricted media.

When I came-up with the catch-phrase "The Hollyweb", I thought that
perhaps I was being a little extreme. But, now that I've seen how far
Jeff and the W3C will go to defend and help Hollywood in their "plight,"
I realize that I did not go far enough.

So, for *this* issue, I will now be focusing my efforts entirely on
raising awareness about the corruption within the W3C and why they are
doing more for the special interest than for what's in the public interest.

Bye,

Josh