Re: PRISM and EME

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Emmanuel Revah <stsil@manurevah.com> wrote:

> On 2013/06/07 15:26, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> [...]
>
>  It is now known that the U.S. government is involved in large-scale
>> surveillance directed against the world population (PRISM). It is also
>> widely assumed that this surveillance is supported by two of the three
>> companies which are proposing EME (Google and Microsoft).
>>
> [...]
>
>  surveillance malware will be added on
>> behalf of the U.S. government. The persons involved likely would be
>> gagged by a gag order.
>>
>> It is unacceptable for an Open Standards body to take part in this by
>> endorsing EME.
>>

> There aren't many replies to this thread so I will add a "+1" and a remark,

I don't know that there is that much to say.

Personally I am overhauling the way I do many/most things on the Internet,
since it is clear that any illusions I may have had about privacy are just
that, illusions.

I certainly will not be running any software on my personal computers that
cannot be vetted by the Linux community, DRM or otherwise.

I'm even a little nervous about saying that.  DRM just took a back door to
dealing the surveillance state we all live in.  I shouldn't be surprised
really.

> Even on a less paranoid level I am persuaded that CDMs will be used to
> compromise web user's computers at least involuntarily, just like it is the
> case with built-in Root CAs that authenticate SSL certificates (security
> flaw that helps things like PRISM). CDMs will most likey be deployed in the
> same manner (with hardware built-in modules as a bonus) so that most users
> will be trusting a vast array of organisations they've never heard of. I'm
> not aware of any other W3C specification that relies on the user trusting
> 3rd parties for functionality.
>
> The worst part is that EME's goal isn't to solve any technical problems to
> make the web better, it is a technical problem that attempts to solve
> social and legal concerns.
>

> --
> Emmanuel Revah
> http://manurevah.com