Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 06/06/2013 07:38 PM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

> Second, I don't believe that the purpose of EME is to deny access to
> data.  There are existing CDM schemes that manage (or restrict/deny)
> access to data.  The purpose of EME is to enhance interoperability by
> providing a common means to incorporate such schemes and data into a
> user experience - when the user chooses to do so.

I am still struggling to understand this statement.

Are you saying that you believe that the kinds of the CDM schemes the
authors of EME have in mind *will* be designed in such a way that a user
will have access to the unencrypted data that resides on his or her
computer?

Again, when I say "access", I'm not talking about legal rights with the
data or the usefulness of the data format -- I literally mean the most
basic access to data residing on a persons computer. For example a user
might run it through a virus scanner or look at the data in a hex editor.

All of the arguments in favor of EME that you have presented seem to
hinge on this idea of "protected content",
<http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/05/perspectives_on_encrypted_medi.html>. Am I
wrong in my understanding -- do you believe that the use of the term
"copy protection" by the proponents is not primarily about denying users
access to the unencrypted data on their machines?

Josh
PS. I apologize for the rude and disrespectful nature of my previous
reply and hope you will look past my indiscretion.