Re: No policy? Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 7, 2013, at 8:32 PM, "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't quite understand your 'proposed AES mechanism' based on the emails
>> you have sent
>
> You asked for a possible Open Source CDM mechanism, and I showed
> what's one of the best ones that current technology could offer.

I just meant I didn't quite understand what you were proposing. Could
you say it again with more detail ?

> Remember that I'm a technologist, and I'm happy to solve _real_
> technology problems, not idiosincratic and arbitrary goberment or
> bussiness model based ones...
>

>> but you should remember that the important feature of any
>> content protection system is not whether it is breakable or not (nothing is
>> impossible, as you point out), but exactly how difficult it is to break and
>> in what form the break can be propagated.
> I agree, I only think that if a mechanism like this is breakable, it's
> useless from my point of view.
>

>> Some examples: if someone with considerable expertise can obtain unencrypted
>> files and post these to a torrent site, that is one thing. If they can do it
>> at a rate of 100s of movies per hour that's different from if they can only
>> do it in real time.
>
> It have been shown that the vast mayority of picary films are leaked
> from IPs of the major studios. That's suspicious...
>

>> If it's possible to create and distribute a custom build
>> of a browser which enables saving of protected content as an unencrypted
>> file that is another thing and if someone could create a website which
>> anyone can visit with an off-the-shelf browser that allows them to proxy to
>> a legitimate site and then save protected content as an unencrypted file
>> that is again another thing.
> Hehehe... do you know that I've been developing during the last year
> just something farily similar to this thing that you propose (or at
> least very related to it) and I've won the "Most Innovative and Open
> Knowledge" project award on the national spanish VII Universitary Free
> Software Championship just the last week? :-D Just a simple and
> inocent single page webapp... :-P

That's interesting. Congratulations.

>> The robustness of a content protection system is not a binary thing, so
>> there is a lot of space for solutions with different properties.
> Sorry, but I don't think so: once it's broken, it's insecure, and
> since being secure it's its own purpose in life, it's useless.

Ok, so I understand that if you wanted a content protection system you
would want one that was secure according to your definition. That's
fine, but I get the impression you don't _actually_ want a content
protection system.

I'm just pointing out that the content providers want one that is
robust according to their definition and perhaps you were being too
harsh on yourself when you rejected your own
proposal.

...Mark