Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On 2013/06/05 16:21, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 8:40 AM, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
>> On 2013/06/05 12:17, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>>> On 6/5/2013 5:57 AM, Emmanuel Revah wrote:

>> http://www.w3.org/standards/agents/Overview.html
>> "We should be able to publish regardless of the software we use [...]
>> We should be able to access the web from any kind of hardware that can
>> connect to the Internet"
>>
>> I don't know if this is a policy but it is on the W3's website.
>
> I agree it is not policy.  But it is also the case that EME does not
> stop publishers from publishing to the Web regardless of the software
> they use.  And EME does not stop access to the web from any kind of
> hardware that can connect to the Internet.

Thanks for your clear and on-point replies.

It is possible to use EME regardless of the software/hardware, however
would it have any functionality in the case of a Free Software + non
DRM'd hardware implementation ?

For example, img, audio, video, can be used with free or non-free
formats (same with software/hardware). Even if only non-free formats
existed today, the goal of those tags are parallel to source-code,
royalities and format licenses. There's no technical reason for free
formats to not have the potential to deliver the same functionalities on
a 100% free system.

If I understood anything, for EME to be functional, the publisher must
have a control over the user's computing.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com