Re: What is the "open web" ?

"Nevertheless, the hardware itself and the firmware running I it are proprietary. I am trying to understand where people draw the line I terms of functionality that is ok to expose on the open web. It seems in the case of graphics hardware, if the hardware is widely available off-the-shelf and can be made using open source drivers to work on multiple platforms and support a standard API (in this case OpenGL), then this is ok. But maybe I'm wrong there ?"

I think you are misunderstanding. There are graphics cards that support a fully free software stack and if they don't, such as requiring non-free firmware, then it isn't free software compatible. You should listen to Richard Stallman's talk, "copyright vs community" to understand why "free hardware" isn't analogous to free software. Or why there's no such thing as free hardware rather.

--
Sent from my Replicant phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity. Visit replicant.us