Re: What is the "open web" ?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 31/05/13 15:55, Mark Watson wrote:
>> Examples include Geolocation and WebGL. Whilst it is possible to
>> implement both of these in open source software, you basically need
>> proprietary hardware (and the proprietary software drivers to go with
>> it) to offer a performant capability to applications (GPS and a graphics
>> card, respectively).
>
> I'm not sure this is the case; I believe that it's true that there are
> GPS chips and graphics cards out there with open source drivers,
> including for accelerated 3D. If you believe these examples hold, can
> you say exactly which part of the GPS or 3D stacks is entirely
> unavailable as open source software for any existing hardware?

I mean the hardware itself and the software/firmware that runs on it.

> I think that perhaps the criteria for a set of technologies to be open
> is that it is possible, given enough time, skill and intelligence, for a
> person or group of people to read the documentation and legally
> implement those technologies without needing anyone else's permission,
> to a level where they had the same capabilities as other existing systems.

So, that would exclude anything where the patent landscape was such
that any performant implementation would require non-RF licenses, for
example wireless Internet technology ?

> So let's take WebGL. Even if there were no free 3D drivers for any
> existing graphics hardware, someone, given enough time and effort, could
> write some. (And people are.) Or they could build their own hardware.
> (And people are.) These actions are not legally restricted or made
> crytographically impossible.
>
> However, if EME/CDM comes to exist and is robust, and is used for web
> video, then no amount of time or effort alone will allow coders to
> legally implement the system such that it plays the same videos. They
> need a contract with (i.e. permission from) an appropriate DRM provider
> (or more than one).

What would be your opinion if the DRM capabilities were included in
hardware, such as a graphics card, and a driver could be implemented
as open source without permissions / licenses ? Just trying to
understand where you draw the line.

...Mark