Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:11 , Matt Ivie <matt.ivie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But it is fitting the gloves for the working hands of Digital
>>> RESTRICTIONS Management to fit into. MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT
>>> THAT!(Shouting most certainly intended.)
>>>
>>> Again also: what other standards has the W3C set that cannot be
>>> implemented in free software?
>>

>> EME can be implemented in free software.  Even some 'lightweight' DRMs can.
>>
>> David Singer
>> Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.
>>

> I know that EME can be implemented in Free Software but it's the Digital
> Restrictions Management I was referring to. When you speak of
> "lightweight" Digital Restrictions Management, do you mean "breakable"?
> It's my understanding that breakable Digital Restrictions Management
> wouldn't satisfy the parties that are involved in the W3C that are
> demanding it.

It wouldn't satisfy all of them, for sure.

But the needs do vary.  There are some that want a 'high wall' (hard to break, obfuscated code, and so on), and others that want a 'garden fence' (people know it's there, it takes a little effort to climb over, and so on).

There have been efforts at such, as I say:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Media_Commons> and OMA PDCF come to mind.

> So what other W3C standards can't be implemented in Free Software? I
> don't know of any myself and aside from suggestions that /maybe/ there
> could be a weak DRM implementation done in Free Software that could
> appease people, no one can seem to answer this question.

Given that there are free software implementations even of encumbered standards, yes, it could be that DRM is in a unique place, where indeed knowing how the client works enables defeating the purpose of the software.

David Singer