Re: walling of the web

On 7/9/2013 11:53 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> I suspect there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.
>>
>> Some might be willing to use open source DRM if they felt it would be
>> more acceptable to customers.  But DRM opponents have not indicated
>> any interest.
>>
>> Similarly, DRM opponents might find it acceptable if content
>> providers would offer content protected with open source DRM.  But
>> such content owners have not offered that option.
> Why would they offer this option as long as W3C gives the impression
> that harder-to-break, incompatible-with-FOSS-platforms DRM is still
> to be considered part of the “open web”?

Hypothetically, they might offer this option if they believe (as many
have argued):

1. DRM is breakable anyways, so they are not really losing anything.

2. Open source DRM is more acceptable than the current approach to the
vast majority of users.  To believe the latter, they would need to
believe that it is more acceptable to the FOSS community.  But, that was
the other half of the chicken-and-egg problem - they've seen no such
indication.

While W3C recognizes the content protection problem, we have not said
that DRM is in any way part of the open web; quite the contrary we have
said that proprietary CDMs are not part of the open Web.  A purely open
source DRM system could potentially be part of the open web.