Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Sunday, Sun, 2013/07/07, David Singer wrote:
> nor will high-value content be accessible through the web

What makes you believe it's still high value?
The world has changed, technology has moved on...

Making copies of information, and sharing that copy with somebody (or a
umpteen somebodies) on the other side of the world is now -literally-
childsplay

This is a digitally connected world. We all read, write, watch, photograph,
film, share, and copy all day long.

The unavoidable economic consequence of that is that we all realise just how
cheap one more copy distributed worldwide is, and consequently how low the
value of that one extra copy is.

The view that a digital copy of something is a high-value good is simply
outdated (as economy 101 tought all of us that passed it: the cost of a good
tends towards it marginal costs)

In terms of movies produced Hollywood is no longer the centre of the world:
China, India and Nigeria all have thriving movie industries that now produce
more content then Hollywood does.

None have production costs that are anywhere near those of Hollywood.
And while it's true that living costs in America are higher...

According to wikipedia [1] the average nigerian movie is shot in a week,
costs 17-23k to produce and routinely sells 150-200k copies at 2-3$ a dvd.

Now for 200k copies you'd make a million at 5$ a copie.

The average wage in america was 43k a year in 2011 [2], that means:
- you can hire 20 people full time for a full year at 16% above average wage
for a million bucks
- or 200 people full time for a full year for 10 million bucks

Succesfull hollywood movies routinely gross upwards of 10 million at the box
office alone, that's before you get into swag, dvd's and tv/internet licensing
(boxoffice mojo [3] has charts that count in millions, the major box office
success routinely gross upwards of 100 million at the box office alone, the 15
successes all grosed over a billion)

Obviously there's plenty of economic opportunity for profitable movie
productions at prices significantly lower then today ... even in America.

When hollywood tries to protect prices of a movie copy at 15$, that's just
not realistic anymore. Welcome to the 21st century (and it's only gonna get
worse)

You want to stop piracy?
You don't need DRM.
What you need is a site that allows us to:
- purchase a movie
- at a reasonable price (and 15$ is nowhere near it)
- without jumping through needless DRM-hoops that limit the device or
software we can play the movie with, that stops us from time or format
shifting, from making backups, etc.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria#Distribution
[2] https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/COLA/AWI.html
[3] http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=1&p=.htm

> do you really think there are no consequences?  that other principles
> won't suffer if you only look at this one?

Let's turn that around, let's think about the long-term consequenses of DRM
schemes

There's lots of content hidden in propriatary file formats that's now lost
forever, as no-one can access them any more, the companies that made those
file formats and their documentation is gone, the programs that wrote them no
longer run.

DRM is the same thing, in 10 years time whatever DRM scheme a CDM implements
is gonna be unsupported,and  any content locked up in it is going to
inaccesible.

That's our cultural heritage that we risk loosing (yes the big successes
will be released in new formats, the less succesfull stuff will simply be
lost)

Why should W3C sacrificy true interoperability (it's quite clear CDM's are
bound to specific hard and/or software configurations) for the current outlier
of hollywood mega-profits?

> "our principles are that one only eats organic food; unfortunately, there
> isn't enough available to feed everyone, and we've decided everyone will
> be a little malnourished"

erm, we produce about 2-3 times the amount of food we need to feed everyone
world-wide, foodwise the problem is not production but distribution,

that's due to greed and to much control of markets by the economically
dominant parties. DRM is the same kind of control and will result in the
same kind of poverty on a cultural level.

> "we will only stock this library with books no-one objects to on any
> principle. if you find the contents bland and unappealing, we have
> decided this is the price you will pay for purity of content"

nobody succesfully does that, quite the contrary there's dedicated groups
fighting that kind of thing, and firestorms get raised whenever that crops up.

people hate corporate/religious/political interests that try to enforce
artificial limits.
That's something the pro-DRM camp might want to keep in mind, attempts at
strong control over distribution tends to produce large and succesfull black
market.

As the example of prohibition in the US shows quite clearly: if you want to
kill the black market, then just loosen the attempted control. (that means
no DRM in this context)
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)