Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On 7/5/2013 8:42 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
>> "Stopping" this will
>> not stand a snowball's chance; the best you can do is provide a better
>> alternative.
> This fact is the cause of the anger that myself and others are
> expressing on this list.
>
> Perhaps we've noticed this issue too late; perhaps if we had been more
> active in the W3C *before* we heard of the EME proposal through the
> media, we might have had an opportunity to debate the more fundamental
> issues (such as, whether the W3C should be working on DRM at all).
>
> As it stands now, though, a bunch of concerned individuals and
> organisations are coming on board and saying: back up a moment - can we
> discuss whether or not the W3C should even be working on this?
>
> And we're being told: no, sorry, that ship has sailed ... Microsoft,
> Google, Apple and Netflix and the W3C CEO have already made the decision
> to forge ahead with DRM.

To clarify for the nth time, the W3C CEO has not made any decision.

The W3C Director has decided that content protection is in scope.

The EME draft proposal has not been approved at this stage by W3C.

>    The important people have decided to paint the
> room, children - how about you choose the colour?
>
> In other words, the community consultation is a bikeshedding exercise
> (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding), and those who are either
> later on the scene (if I'm being charitable) or lacking billions of
> dollars and the ear of the CEO (if I'm not) aren't being given an
> opportunity to change the overall course of events.
>
> If people are angry, it's because they're disenfranchised.  Perhaps you
> & others should consider correcting that, instead of complaining when
> people express their anger on the list.

I'm quite sorry that people feel disenfranchised.  I have spent a
considerable amount of time in dialog with people on my blog post and on
this list to engage them in the discussion.  What more should I be doing
to engage with those who feel that they don't have the ear of W3C?

Also, how can I better communicate what actually has been decided? After
all the discussion, there are still statements of the form that the W3C
CEO has decided to forge ahead with DRM.