Re: 'contrary to principles'

On 2013/07/05 20:32, David Singer wrote:

Hello David,

> 2) Implementability.  I think that there may be an implied principle
> that if you implement (enough, I hope not all) W3C recommendations,
> then your implementation can go anywhere -- visit anything -- on the
> open web (though you may be asked to pay for content, or sign
> agreement, create accounts, and so on, you won't be blocked by an
> technical gap).
>
> I'm not sure we do well at meeting this principle, if it exists.
> Obvious problems are web plug-ins, such as Flash or QuickTime.

On this point I do feel that EME, which requires CDMs, replaces the
"Flash problem" with something similar, although more trivial. It does
appear to imply that certain browsers, operating systems and/or hardware
may be required to access content published using certain CDMs.

I've said this a few times; Any configuration not supported by the CDMs
used by the content provider will be excluded from this part of the
"open" web, even if the user accepts all the agreements and all the
non-free plugins/code offered.

Such a thing would mean that the W3C standards no longer respect the
"Web for all" principle.
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission#principles ->

"One of W3C's primary goals is to make these benefits available to all
people, whatever their hardware, software, network infrastructure,
native language, culture, geographical location, or physical or mental
ability."

Perhaps there is work on EME towards solving this issue ?  The only
thing I've seen so far is the technicality that CDM is not part of the
W3C standard.

--
Emmanuel Revah
http://manurevah.com