Re: walling of the web

On 6/28/2013 9:47 AM, cobaco wrote:

> On Friday, Fri, 2013/06/28, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > The public debate is taking place at the W3C Restricted Media Community
>
> > Group [1]. I encourage you to join the CG, read the postings, and
>
> > participate in the debate.
>

> > Additional comments in-line.
>
> right, moving discussion over to that forum
>
> > cobaco wrote:
>
> > > I'm flabbergasted to read [1] that you said:
>
> > > 'Web technologies need to support DRM-protected media to reduce the
>
> > > risk of parts of the web being walled off'
>
> > For clarity, W3C has not at this stage supported DRM on the Web.
>
> Blatantly stating that DRM is necessary definately falls under the
> heading of supporting DRM.

Well what I actually said is that we don't want the content (that is
currently protected by DRM) severed from the Web.

> With the above quote you, the CEO of W3C, have personally and
> explictly stated support for DRM.
>
> You're not disputing the quote so I'm assuming it's accurate.
>
> Given the above, stating that:
>
> 'w3c has not at this stage supported DRM on the web'
>
> is disingenuous at best, and frankly comes across as outright weaseling.
>
> Since you personally have explictly stated support for DRM
>
> You need to take responsibility for that statement and either publicly
> retract it or publicly elucidate the reason for that support.
>
> (if it was a personal opinion instead of a statement as CEO of W3C
> that did not come across in the article and would still require a
> public statement of the W3C correcting that impression)
>
> > W3C recognizes that content needs to be protected and has asked the HTML
>
> > working group to develop solutions.
>
> 'protection by technological means' is the definition of a wall in the
> used analogy.
>
> Consequently your stated reasoning for wanting EME makes no sense
> whatsoever.
>
> Secondly:
>
> 'Content needs to be protected' is an unproven assumption, not a known
> fact.
>
> The (open) web has, if anything, disproved that notion: there has
> never been a period in history where more content was more widely
> available, and that margin is getting wider every day.
>
> Looking at historical evidence the amount of available content seems:
>
> - directly related to the easy of (re)production, distribution and access
>
> (jumping hugely with the printing press, again with telecomunication ,and
>
> again with computing and the web)
>
> - inversely related to the amount of barriers in the way of
> reproduction, distribution and access.
>
> Given that, why on earth would W3C through EME want to publicly
> support new technological means for restricting reproduction,
> distribution and access?

As I said above and in the blog post, there is content that we believe
content owners will protect.  We accept that requirement.  I respect if
you don't think we need to.  We are looking for the best solution to
address that requirement.

> A plain filled with walled compounds is no longer an open space.
>
> I'd have thought that was self-evident. But apperently not.
>
> EME explictly facilitates the presence of walled compounds on the open
> web.
>
> By doing so, it implicitly and unavoidably approves and supports those
> walled compounds.
>
> How is that anything other then a semantic game redefining the idea of
> what the open web is?
>
> > There is a draft specification (EME) that provides open interfaces
> to DRM
>
> > systems that the working group is looking at.
>
> > To directly answer your question, I would like to have all content
>
> > accessible via web browsers in a consistent and interoperable way.
>
> All content ... or all open content?

All content.

> I you believe in an Open Web it's the open content that matters,
> closed and gated content is irrelevant to that particular interaction
> space.
>
> Closed and gated content is part of the dark web, not the open web.

Almost everyone accepts that access control is a valid requirement;
although many don't accept DRM as an acceptable method to protect
content.  But it happened long ago that content is protected on the web.