Re: W3C mock's users [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I've said this before, but: DRM is an attempt to craft a technological
> solution to a business model that has been irrevocably broken by
> technological change.

I think one of the problems here is that many people believe this premise
to be simply false. Whatever, it will work itself out - true or false - in
due course. It's probably not productive to discuss it here and it's
unlikely to be accepted as a premise for any argument concluding on what
W3C should or shouldn't do.

> It's like - to invoke Henry Ford - a bunch of
> biologists getting together to genetically engineer faster horses to
> keep up with automobiles.
>
> 'The Internet' has already come up with a myriad ways of paying artists
> and other creative people.  Crowd-sourcing, micro-payments,
> subscriptions, donations, play-per-use ... none of which have appealed
> to the movie companies because they want to continue making
> hundred-million-dollar movies.

That statement seems to be contrary to the facts. My employer runs a very
successful business based on subscription that includes large-budget
movies. Amazon, Vudu and many others offer pay-per-use services again
including "hundred-million-dollar movies". Most if not all rely on some
form of DRM. Clearly these new models aren't undermining the willingness of
people to spend hundreds-of-millions on making a movie.

Whilst the internet is certainly revolutionary, there have been
subscription services based on technology with a zero marginal cost of
distribution for decades (broadcast).

...Mark