Re: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?

On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:43 , cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:

> On 2013-08-20 09:45 David Singer wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 2013, at 5:11 , Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, then I misunderstood, and I still don't understand what the
>> relationship is between EME, and the problem of the extent you can be
>> monitored/tracked online.
>>
>>> It seems that if you live in the US, you can get a "Security Letter" that
>>> you must comply with and discuss with no one or you spend 5 years in
>>> jail.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00
>> And the relevance to this EME discussion is…?
>
> in as far as there is any relevance it would be that you can't trust black
> boxes, especially from US companies (who might be forced with a national
> security letter), and CDM's are black boxes

Yes, but it's by no means the easiest way, or the most pervasive way, to get code on the client machine. Nor is there any evidence that people doing monitoring do it client-side, when it's vastly easier to monitor network traffic.

Indeed, to the extent that network transactions for EME use secure channels, one could argue that that is making you a little more private and secure.

I trust you have also read <http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2007/04/15/strange-loops-dennis-ritchie-a/>.

David Singer