Fwd: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2013, at 12:32 , Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> > (1) People who are non-US persons must, if they want to deny the NSA
> >    the ability to watch what they're doing online (without the NSA
> >    having any need for a warrant, and without any other democratic
> >    checks and balances), avoid using an operating system which is
> >    closed source software that comes from a US company.
>
> I don't think (I don't know, of course) that the NSA relied on any
> 'probes' or the like in the client computers.  Why bother, when you can
> watch their traffic, much more easily, by having probes in important
> high-traffic internet links?  I certainly don't think that any monitoring
> software on the client side, if it existed at all, would rely on any DRM or
> the like.  Again, why bother?
>
> I think you are under a dangerous illusion if you think using only free
> software on your computer makes you immune from, or even at reduced risk
> from, being monitored.

No one thinks that.

No one said that.

It seems that if you live in the US, you can get a "Security Letter" that
you must comply with and discuss with no one or you spend 5 years in jail.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00

This tyranny would seem useful in compelling you to do all manner of things
that you would not normally do, as we have seen.  How many people have been
creditied with saying that he who trades freedom for security deserves
neither?   And voila, how true that is.

So you can't be trusted.  Even though it's not your fault.

Patriotism?  Tyranny?  You decide, but it's broken and you should get it
fixed.

Mean time, while I have all operating systems, I surf on Linux only.

> David Singer

*"Anything created must necessarily be inferior to the essence of the
creator."
-- Claude Shouse (shouse@macomw.ARPA)
"Einstein's mother must have been one heck of a physicist."
-- Joseph C. Wang (joe@athena.mit.edu)

*