Re: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?

David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> The ability to watch what you are doing online, and
> the desire to only supply content into protected environments are
> basically orthogonal.

I wish this were true. I don't think that that is the case.

It seems to me that all of the following assertions are true:

(1) People who are non-US persons must, if they want to deny the NSA
    the ability to watch what they're doing online (without the NSA
    having any need for a warrant, and without any other democratic
    checks and balances), avoid using an operating system which is
    closed source software that comes from a US company.

(2) Worldwide, a large percentage of people wish to watch at least
    some of the video content that movie studios want to allow online
    only in “protected environments”.

(3) The available operating systems from among which people can choose
    currently all either software that comes from a US company
    (without full source code being available) or they don't provide a
    “protected environment”.

Nota bene, that Free Software operating systems don't provide the kind
of “protected environment” that the DRM proponents are asking for is a
logical consequence of them being Free Software operating systems.

Greetings,
Norbert
FreedomHTML.org