Re: "Enclosed shops" Re: HTML5 and DRM - A Middle Path?

Matt Ivie <matt.ivie@gmail.com> wrote:

> No and this is why we need something better than proprietary software
> to solve this problem. You're presenting to evils and expecting
> everyone to be agreeable because one is less evil than the other.

Hmm... I wonder whether the phrasing “something better than proprietary
software” might perhaps point to some potential compromise. Maybe a
form of software that is proprietary for say two years, but which
automatically becomes Free Software after that time has elapsed? There
would need to be an escrow service for the source code to ensure that
no matter what, the source code for the CDM including the embedded
decryption key will get released under a free license after two years.

(I'm just pondering here, not taking any position at this stage.)

Greetings,
Norbert