Re: Alternatives to DRM?

Le vendredi 12 avril 2013 à 11:54 -0400, Jeff Jaffe a écrit :
> > I guess my point is that a positive assessment of that practicality
> > should be a prerequisite in investing a Working Group time on that
> > technology.
>
> You seem to be saying that the WG should not evaluate the solution
> unless it has gotten traction in the marketplace.

Not quite, I said it should be a prerequisite in investing a WG time; to
be more explicit, I believe a FPWD is a sign that a WG is taking on a
commitment to progress a document to Recommendation. I believe a
prerequisite to that commitment should be an assessment of its
practicality.

> I believe that a major driver of getting traction in the marketplace is
> the realization that it has unique value as a standard that sits in the
> middle of a polarized discussion (hard-core DRM on the one-side and no
> DRM on the other side).

Agreed.

> I would agree with you that there should be a prerequisite, but I would
> argue for a weaker prerequisite.  A weaker prerequisite is that there
> should be a WG participant willing to passionately argue for that
> approach.  (I note that today soft-DRM does not even satisfy the weaker
> prerequisite.)

I agree that the no-DRM-camp has a duty to propose alternative
approaches; this thread is my feeble attempt at building such an
alternative.

Dom