Re: aspect ratio as an attribute

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 19:27:05 +0100, Adam van den Hoven
<adam@littlefyr.com> wrote:

> Yoav's right. I think I had slipped a gear and was thinking art direction
> variations, which is handled by the <source> element.
>
> Developer confusion is something that we should avoid and I'm OK with
> making things clear although I'm not a huge fan of hyphenated attribute
> names without reason. Perhaps, however, following in the footsteps of
> data-, we might have hint-aspect on the assumption that at some future
> date
> we might add other hinting attributes for external resources. I can't see
> what that might be but my lack of foresight doesn't mean it won't happen.
> data- is basically a less verbose namespace, and I think we might want to
> resuse that notion.

No, attribute names should be without hyphens *unless* it is really a
namespace, like data-* or aria-*.

Saying "well we might add something similar in the future" is not a good
ground for claiming a single new attribute should have its own new
namespace. :-)

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software