Re: Reusing larger image

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Filip Likavčan <filip@bratia.sk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What would happen if a resize occurs (zoom, window resize, change from
> landscape to portrait) after which <picture> settings dictates to load a
> smaller image but there has been a larger image loaded already?
>
> I think there are two use cases:
>
>   1) scale larger image and do not load smaller version (it would save
> traffic/server resources if the smaller image has the same content)

In this case you should use srcset, which should not load the smaller
resource. That's already the case in the Blink implementation.
It's not the case in the WebKit implementation (I need to fix that...). Not
sure about Firefox.

>   2) load smaller image (required for art direction techniques)

In this case you should use <picture> and since art-direction requires the
different resource here (otherwise layout may break), the smaller image
will get downloaded. That's not currently mandatory per spec, but it should
be <https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/picture-element/issues/157>.