Re: Informing the browser of the expected size of the image

Hi IIya,

I understand the geometry issues, I have 20,000 images.  My point is that,
quite understandably, the time to render text is minimal whilst the time to
render an image is significant.  Unless you "reserve" space for the image
the rendering process does not know how much space to allocate for the
image and will re-position the text once the geometry has been
established.  With an undetermined aspect the text will be pushed out of
the way to accommodate the image.

So if you images have a variable geometry, I create a container larger than
the maximum aspect and center and vertically align the image within that
container and a separate container for the text.  This way the text can be
rendered independently without any knowledge of the true dimensions of each
image as the image will always fit its dedicated image container.

Yes I understand the concept of reading the header to ascertain the
geometry, I already use this to store the image aspects for each of the
images using a database program which is then uplifted to the web.

The delay in rendering images is totally understandable, enabling rendering
engines to be able to position text and images can be acheived if you
construct the page allowing a distinct space for images and a seperate
space for the text underneath the image container.

Simon