Re: Informing the browser of the expected size of the image

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Kornel <pornel@pornel.net> wrote:

> > On 27 Oct 2014, at 17:03, steve@steveclaflin.com wrote:
> >
> > Now, in particular, when we could have images with different aspect
> ratios, it seems like the browser wouldn't know until it downloads one what
> the aspect ratio is.  And we might end up with a very jumpy page.
>
> For this I'm rooting for "smart" HTTP/2 servers that can push all image
> file headers (that contain image dimensions) to the client very early, and
> resume sending of the rest of the image data only after other assets have
> been sent. In theory HTTP/2 allows servers to do this automatically with
> very little overhead and it would "just work" without need for any extra
> markup.
>
> Of course, we're not there yet. I feel your pain, interaction between
> image height and max-width is really annoying.

s/we're not there yet/we'll be there in few weeks time/

Chrome 39 is shipping http/2 in stable, so is FF 35. Meaning, in a few
weeks time we'll have a significant fraction of users running HTTP/2
capable browsers... and we can start experimenting with above server
implementations.

ig