Re: [respimg] a perfect responsive solution should not tamper the HTML syntax with too much repeating information

Hi Carsten,

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Carsten Berggreen wrote:

> I have worked with optimizing my CMS and websites/campaigns since 1997, and for the past 11 years in my own company.
>
> My solution to responsive images is to the the SERVER do the tricks.

You might like to take a look at Client Hints - which is one of the proposed solutions for responsive images by one of our members (Ilya Grigorik):
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grigorik-http-client-hints

There is a great presentation about it too:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1y_A6VOZy9bD2i0VLHv9ZWr0W3hZJvlTNCDA0itjI0yM/edit#slide=id.p19

You might also want to take a look at my slide set from Fronteers, which explains some of the limitations (you can go from slide 69):
https://speakerdeck.com/marcoscaceres/responsive-images-aint-we-there-yet

But as a group we agree that having a HTTP based solution would be great to help address the use cases with server side technology. However, unfortunately, it can’t be the only way to do things as it cuts too many people out.