Re: [client-hints] new v1 spec draft and src-N interop

Hey Darrel.

What is CH-RW exactly? Is it the size the image is intended to be displayed
> at or the width of the browser / device? I read it as the former, which
> made me curious if the browser needs to finish calculating the layout
> before it can begin fetching images?

"Resource Width (RW), is the display width of the requested resource in
density independent pixels on the device."

Meaning, it's the actual size of the image (in dip) in UA's viewport (in JS
speak, it's the .width of the image).

Re, layout: not necessarily / depends on how the width of the asset is
defined. If you look at src-N syntax, it defines image sizes via
<size-viewport-list>, which is with respect to the viewport. Hence, as long
as the viewport size is known (e.g. meta viewport is set), then we don't
necessarily have to wait for full layout. In other words, CH-RW is
implicitly relying on same machinery as src-N.. hence the magic in second
example in src-N interop section [2].

ig

[1]
http://tabatkins.github.io/specs/respimg/Overview.html#typedef-size-viewport-list