Re: A question about the discussions so far

Adam,

You're kind of getting into my wheel house, you can ping me off list if you
need implementation help. I've done a lot of server side image processing
and am currently working on a service which does just that.

The 300 approach sounds interesting, but a lot of time the designer has
control of the assets on the server so the additional requests and the
resulting latency are a large price to pay. Giving the UA and end user a
choice is the real benefit to this approach and seems tenable, but getting
the browser developer community to adopt it could be a high barrier to
entry.  If you strongly believe in this approach a sequence diagram
outlining the request response workflow to get the image along with example
headers would be great to help to work out the workflow.

As for simply doing server side device detection it can be done with WURFL,
or DeviceAtlas and the server can make decisions on what to deliver based
on the device. The UA could also send additional headers to describe  the
client capabilities.  Both seem to be more accessible approaches to server
side responsive engineering as they don't require additional requests.
 They however do not give the UA as much control over the interaction which
is the nice part of your suggestion.

--
Darrel O'Pry
The Spry Group, LLC.