Re: CfC: to publish "The srcset attribute" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

*A Unified solution to <picture>*

Perhaps there's a very simple way to support both pre- and post-layout
queries with <picture>, and sacrifice neither functionality or performance.

If sources specify the dimensions of the images (and more than one image
matches the media queries), we delay image fetching until CSS is
downloaded; otherwise fetching can occur immediately.

We can then apply sizing constraints to further filter the list of images
(media queries are still king, but if more than 1 image 'matches', we use
size constraints).

*I've written up the details here: *
https://gist.github.com/nathanaeljones/5047077

---

I also propose the expansion of the Use Cases and Requirements document to
include:

11 The solution SHOULD offer an method to leverage breakpoints defined in
CSS.
<https://gist.github.com/nathanaeljones/5047077#12-the-solution-should-support-a-simplified-syntax-to-support-primary-use-case-31-preferably-a-list-of-images-and-their-dimensions-in-order-to-reach-users-of-content-management-systems-and-those-without-detailed-knowledge-of-css-media-queries>12.
The solution SHOULD support a simplified syntax to support primary use case
3.1 (preferably a list of images and their dimensions), in order to reach
users of content management systems and those without detailed knowledge of
CSS media queries.

This allows complexity to be moved from HTML to CSS, and removes the need
for high-volume repetition of breakpoint logic.

Authors who wish to use responsive web design will be able to use a CSS
framework or snippet and matching CSS classes on <picture> to achieve
responsive images - a path much less intimidating than CSS media queries,
and much easier for CMSes and authoring tools to support (how would a GUI
for media queries be designed)?

I fear for adoption of <picture> unless we can make it CMS and 'non-coder'
friendly.
Thanks,
Nathanael