RE: CfC: to publish "The srcset attribute" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

Thank you, this echos many of the points I have raised.

The decision to consider only pre-layout information, the media query features, in the choice of the images does seem to be the blocker.  Some people insist that the solution space be limited in this way, and thus reject alternatives that take advantage of other information or even more general solutions that would also handle their requirements.

There is an important matter of scope involved here.  If the 'picture'
and 'srcset' proposals are limited to use using only information
available pre-layout, that is media query features, then it may not be
proper for the RICG to claim any authority over more general responsive
image develop and it may not be proper for ambiguity in the RICG
proposals to delay other development work in an area that needs urgent
attention.  I suggest that it should be a requirement for acceptance of
the proposals for publication as FPWD that the scope be well defined.
This is not a technical matter that can be addressed in bugs filed
against the proposals.

It is not immediately obvious to me how the specialized 'picture' and 'srcset' solutions proposed by the RICG could fit alongside more general solutions and it is likely that more general solution would subsume the current proposals.

Btw: You might also be interested in the following discussion on the RICG and WHATWG mailing lists:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-respimg/2012Nov/0001.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-November/037772.html

I have run some quick traces of website resource loading with a proxy adding significant latency and limiting bandwidth to simulate a mobile device.  A typical result using Google Chrome to load youtube.com: after the html resource is loaded the browser initiates the loading of style sheets and Javascript resources and blocks until the Javascript files are loaded before loading any images.  The style sheets are completely loaded before these Javascript resources and thus well before any images are loaded.  Firefox is similar but initiates the loading of a few images along with the style sheets and Javascript.  I did not fined any websites for which all the images are requested at the same time as the style sheets - in part because the style sheets define many images.  I did find websites that do not have this dependency on Javascript resources and for which delaying image loads until after loading the style sheets would add some latency.

cheers
Fred