Re: CfC: to publish "The picture element" specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

> Are the proponents of the original srcset proposal happy with it becoming
> a resolution hint and for the syntax to be optimized as the proposal
> develops for this purpose and for the use of srcset for media query based
> image choice to be excluded and handled only by the <source media> element
> attribute?

While I cannot speak for the original `srcset` proponents, we are in
agreement on this with Ted O'Connor, the `srcset` spec editor.

> Perhaps it would be best to edit the srcset proposal to be more consistent
> with the plan.  For example, remove the viewport size media query parameter
> from the syntax.  There were quite a few good ideas and discussion on the
> whatwg list for using srcset for this purpose and surely the syntax could
> be usefully extended.
>

> Some concerns raised with using the srcset as a resolution hint were: the
> image box size might not be know at the time the image could be loaded; the
> image resolution affects the layout.   Some consideration of these concerns
> would be useful.

The viewport hints are still important for viewport based resolution
switching, for non 'art-direction' images that maintain their proportions
across viewports.
If good ideas on improving the `srcset` syntax were raised on the various
mailing lists and forgotten, could you please help us by linking to them?
(either here or on the public-respimg mailing list)

> Section 8 'Adaptive images' of the srcset proposal appears inconsistent
> with the intent of the proposal.  There are examples using the srcset as a
> viewport media query to select between images.  Perhaps just remove this
> section.

I agree that this section should be modified to accommodate the use of
`srcset` with `<picture>`.