Re: WebP, anyone using it?

I'd also like to point out that the 'success' of PNG is not comparable; it
introduced 2 new abilities no previous format contained: lossless
compression and a full alpha channel. Its growth was also driven by the
extensive patent issues the GIF format had (until they expired).

WebP's biggest 'feature' is alpha-channel support on lossy images - not
nearly as big a motivator.

Formats that only provide better image quality and/or better compression
have not, historically, succeeded. Animated PNG and DjVu are good examples
of that.

Formats win based on widest support, regardless of other factors. Between
PNG, GIF, and JPG, enough use cases are covered that subsequent image
formats don't have a chance... unless we give them one.  And with fallbacks
part of the plan, format proliferation isn't necessarily evil; we might end
up with something really good.

The fact that GIFs still monopolize most website 'animations' should stand
as sufficient evidence that the 'format economy' is not doing a good enough
job of breaking the chicken/egg cycle.